June 12-16, 2023
Above: Singing Down the Barriers faculty and participants, Summer 2022
“Singing Down the Barriers” (SDTB) is an intensive introduction to the repertoire of African American composers for the college student, apprentice, teacher (private, high school or university), coach, choral conductor, church musician, professional singer or organization administrator. In tandem with a directed curriculum of readings, resources, recordings, reflective exercises, and performance, the Institute seeks to help participants overcome the barriers that prevent successful engagement with and performance of African American concert repertoire including art song and spirituals.
Entering its third year, “Singing Down the Barriers” continues to focus on performance and conversation to eliminate barriers to the performance of African American concert repertoire, with students able to benefit from either continued online interaction or the opportunity to meet in-person on the University of Michigan campus in Ann Arbor.
The SDtB Institute is an adult summer intensive of the U-M SMTD and is offered in partnership with the Hampsong Foundation via the Classic Song Research Initiative.
Program Dates: June 12, 2023 – June 16, 2023
IN-PERSON OPTIONS (PERFORMERS)
- In-Person Performer + Room / Meals: $850
- In-Person Performer + Room (no meals): $700
- In-Person Performer + Meals (no room): $700
IN-PERSON OPTIONS (OBSERVERS)
- In-Person Observer + Room / Meals: $750
- In-Person Observer + Room (no meals): $600
- In-Person Observer + Meals (no room): $600
- Online Participant: $300
* Tuition for “Singing Down the Barriers” covers all instructional classes, events and materials. Travel costs incurred for those attending in person are the responsibility of the participant.
Application Deadline: May 1, 2023
Learn more and register here:
U-M SMTD: Engagement and Outreach
Learn more about this summer institute, including how to register!Visit site
In cooperation with:
Office of Engagement & Outreach:
University of Michigan School of Music, Theater, & Dance
Partner since 2015Visit site